Opening with a description by a Bronzeville tour guide, wistful for the days of its famously rich and rewarding cultural life, Michelle R. Connecting such collective inventions of memory to neighborhood projects in the present, Boyd emphasizes how interpretations of history are mobilized for political goals and how links between nostalgia and redevelopment contribute to the politicization of racial identity.
As community leaders sought to make an area more attractive to investors, she finds that they consciously worked to define and even redraw geographic boundaries, real estate values, and even the character of the people who lived there. Acknowledging the present and growing public anxiety over the existence of a stable and collective black identity, Boyd takes a nuanced view of nostalgia for the neighborhoods of the Jim Crow era and develops a new way to understand the political significance of race today.
Michelle R. Boyd is assistant professor of African American studies and political science at the University of Illinois, Chicago.
Jim Crow Nostalgia: Reconstructing Race in Bronzeville - PDF Free Download
Through a nostalgic recreation of the past and the politicization of racial identity, community groups longed for a return to what Boyd views as a sanitized Jim Crow era. Relying extensively on interviews with local activists, Boyd African American studies and political science, Univ. The lack of maps detailing the area makes it difficult to follow the encroachment of urban renewal projects followed by revitalization. Summing Up: Recommended.
Upper-division undergraduates and above. Jamieson Ashland University.
Skip to: Content. Log In. My Account.
Archive of Scientific Articles
Remember to clear the cache and close the browser window. Search For:. Advanced Search. Jim Crow nostalgia reconstructing race in Bronzeville. Boyd, Michelle R. Publication Information:. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press, c Physical Description:.
In this Book
Subject Term:. African American leadership -- Illinois -- Chicago -- History.
- Against Perfectionism: Defending Liberal Neutrality;
- How To Eliminate Credit Card Debt;
- Awakened Wisdom: A Guide to Reclaiming Your Brilliance.
- Jung’s Personality Theory Quantified.
- Time Series Analysis and Its Applications: With R Examples (Springer Texts in Statistics).
African Americans -- Race identity -- Illinois -- Chicago. African Americans -- Illinois -- Chicago -- Politics and government. Community life -- Illinois -- Chicago -- History.
Nostalgia -- Political aspects -- Illinois -- Chicago. Nostalgia -- Social aspects -- Illinois -- Chicago. Geographic Term:. Bronzeville Chicago, Ill. Chicago Ill. Electronic books.
- Investments and portfolio performance.
- Communicating Research (Library and Information Science Series) (Library and Information Science).
- InkWell Academic Writing Retreats!
- New Items | Buswell Library.
- ethnography - michelle boyd?
- The SBI Group Vision & Strategy: Continuously Evolving Management.
- The Chinese Triangle of Mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong: Comparative Institutional Analyses (Contributions in Sociology,).
Added Corporate Author:. ProQuest Firm. Electronic Access:.